We are seeking an emotionally mature leader who can build bridges, who is willing to engage conflict and sees it as an opportunity to guide and lead us as a group through complex discussions and situations that will arise in our church community. Our pastor will be able to assess, encourage, and utilize the gifts of the congregation, young and old alike, and will help us move to a stable and hopeful future. We are looking for a positive leader to help us build on our strengths, work through our weakness and not be afraid to bring forth guidance when guidance is needed to best serve our mission to walk in stride with Christ, to glorify God.
Our vision for ministry is to “be in stride with Christ”. Our congregation strives to “serve as the hands and feet of Christ”, through meaningful worship, service to our congregation and others, while being sensitive to the social issues that affect us and the community.
Our community is a typical small rural Midwest town of approximately 17,000 people, located halfway between Toledo, OH and Fort Wayne, IN. We are the economic center and county seat of this rural area. It is the home of Defiance College, a small 4-year liberal arts school with a nationwide reputation for an excellent service-learning program, and more than 40 churches. Both the community and schools support music, arts, theater, and athletics.
Our new pastor will:
- Have strong preaching skills
- Find joy in interacting with a congregation of different ages and varying points of view
- Understand generational differences
- Communicate well with all ages.
- Appreciate a variety of music and worship styles
- Love interacting with energetic children
- Have a sense of humor
- Be community oriented
- Be aware of what is going on in the community
- Be comfortable with theology as well as technology
- Enjoy pastoral visits
- Have excellent communication skills with both individuals and groups
- Be organized and values the principle of “follow through”
- Understand church finances and administrative tasks
- Have the ability to supervise staff
- Be energetic. Takes initiative and accepts new ideas and projects
To self-refer, please contact the moderator of the Pastor Nominating Committee, Mr. Joel Youkers.