Please review Derry's MIF at the CLC: MIF #07338.AC4. This position is suitable for a first call; candidates must be certified by their Committee on Preparation for Ministry as "Ready to receive a call." Housing allowance is available. Please use this email address when responding to the MIF or contacting the APNC: APNC@derrypres.org.
The Pastor for Youth, and Families (PYF) will oversee the ministries that provide for the
education, spiritual development, fellowship, and mission for children and youth, their families,
and young adults.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Vision, plan, and implement a comprehensive Christian education program including the
creation, evaluation, and selection of education curricula for children and youth in
consultation and partnership with the Christian Education Committee (CEC) and other staff.
- Plan, implement and lead programs for Middle School and High School Youth to include
worship, education, mission, fellowship, and retreats/trips.
- Plan and oversee the confirmation program for youth including selecting/creating curricula,
training teachers, and helping lead the class.
- Provide pastoral care to children, youth, young adults, and their families.
- Lead and support a targeted ministry to young adults.
- Recruit, train, and support volunteer Sunday School teachers and leaders with the Children’s Ministry Coordinator and the CEC.
- Assist in adult worship leadership, worship education, and worship planning when requested. Preach on Sunday one to three times a year and lead Tuesday night worship about once a month and potentially help create and lead Engage Saturday night worship services.
- Assist the Children’s Ministry Coordinator plan the Kids In Worship Instruction (KIWI) program or similar program during the 10:30am worship service and lead it at least once a month.
- Provide guidance and support to the Children’s Ministry Coordinator and volunteers to plan, the elementary age (Pilgrim) fellowship to include worship, education, mission, and fellowship opportunities.
- Reach out to non-member youth in the community
- Serve as the resource and staff representative to the Christian Education Committee.
- Supervise and support the Children’s Ministry Coordinator.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors of Derry Discovery Days Preschool.
- Attend monthly Session Meetings.
The Pastor for Youth and Families (PYF) is accountable directly to the Pastor / Head of Staff. The PYF will work cooperatively with the Pastor, Session, Christian Education Committee, and other staff members. The PYF supervises the Children’s Ministry Coordinator (including preparing the annual evaluation).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Seminary MDiv Degree.
- 3-5 years successful experience as a pastor in a mid to large church preferred.
- Experience in developing curricula / lesson plans.
- Supervisory experience desired.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge/understanding of Reformed tradition and the PCUSA
- Ability connect and communicate with children, youth, and their families.
- Ability to work with a variety of learning styles.
- Experience with conflict resolution.
- Highly organized and motivated.
- Significant faith experience in the life of the church.
- Active listening skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders using latest social media and electronic platforms.
- Polished interpersonal skills.
- Trustworthy character and role model for youth.
- Passion for continual learning and growing.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver’s license and regular access to a reliable vehicle.
BACKGROUND RELATED PREREQUISITES
All employees of Derry Presbyterian Church are required to produce current documentation or obtain the PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and an FBI Criminal Record Check.
The physical demands described / implied here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee will need to sit (at times for extended periods) or stand as needed, bend, stoop, reach, and lift up to 40 pounds.
The PYF performance will be reviewed by the Pastor, annually at minimum. Additional input may be obtained from others supported by the incumbent as appropriate.
Please note, this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of duties, responsibilities, and activities that are required of the employee in this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.