The JKM Library Trust Board invites applications for the position of the JKM Library Director, with a preferred starting date of July 1, 2019. We seek candidates with an ALA accredited graduate degree in Library Science or educational equivalent, An additional graduate theological degree would be advantageous.
The Director of JKM Library leads a team that serves the educational needs of two seminaries sharing a common campus, the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) and McCormick Theological Seminary (MTS). Because library services are undergoing considerable review and rethinking in recent years, we seek a Director with the vision to bring those services into creative and constructive engagement with the wider educational mission of the partner seminaries, with particular attention to augmenting the instructional and scholarly opportunities that arise.
Responsibilities of this position include providing leadership in administering the library, supervising staff, managing the library’s budget, developing the library’s collection of theological resources, and guiding the library’s transformation in the digital era, attention to the Church’s need for greater information literarcy, among other duties. The JKM Library Director may serve on the faculties of both LSTC and MTS and may teach courses as negotiated.
In light of this setting and its distinctive opportunities, candidates should demonstrate the following skills:
- successful experience in leading a graduate school library
- ability to organize and monitor both personnel and financial resources in ways that support the library’s mission
- ability to work collegially and effectively with students, faculty, and staff in a diverse community
- experience and expertise in the integration of emerging electronic resources with traditional library materials – print, analogue, physical, etc.
- cross-cultural engagement and openness to serving and supporting teaching-learning of multicultural, multilingual, and international communities
- ability to work in agreements and arrangements with seminaries of our consortium.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who possess a terminal theological degree, and who are fluent in Spanish. Candidates should send a letter of interest that includes a statement regarding the role of the library in theological education, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references. Applicants should upload material to this link. The JKM Library Director Search Committee will begin review applications on December 10, 2018 and will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
The Lutheran School of Theology, a seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is dedicated to bearing witness to the good news of Jesus Christ. LSTC’s innovative curriculum gives students skills for visionary Christian leadership in the public sphere. To learn more visit www.lstc.edu.
Located in Chicago, IL, McCormick Theological Seminary is a seminary of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with Reformed, ecumenical, cross-cultural, and urban commitments. We are committed to building a culturally diverse faculty. To learn more visit www.mccormick.edu.