The following position is currently available with Fourth Presbyterian Church. If interested, please contact in Human Resources no later than the application date below:
Job Title: Director of Worship
Application Due Date: Friday, June 7, 2019
The Director of Worship is a key member of the staff, responsible for supporting the worship life of the congregation. In conjunction with the Pastor, the Director plans, organizes, communicates, and assists in the implementation of the elements of weekly worship and special services. The Director will work closely with the Organist and Director of Music, and will be part of the staff of the Office of the Pastor. The position is accountable to the Senior Pastor, and the Music, Worship and Arts Committee of the Session of Fourth Presbyterian Church.
Schedule: The Director is a full-time, 40 hour/week position. S/he is required all day on Sundays as part of the work week, and occasional evenings and holidays (Christmas Eve, Easter, etc), as needed; weekdays otherwise.
- With input from the Pastor, oversee the planning and execution of weekly and monthly worship services. Work with clergy, and the Organist and Director of Music to plan and develop each worship service. Communicate the needs to Communications, Facilities, and key lay leaders.
- Coordinate the worship leadership assignments for four services on Sundays, special services, Taize services, and High Holy Days, including coordination of the Beadle, Lay Liturgist, and Minute for Mission. Recruit and Train new lay leaders.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Ushers, Chancel Guild, Communion Coordinators and Servers, and Sanctuary Tour Docents. Work with leaders of each ministry to broaden participation and develop ministry. Support with administrative needs.
- With the leadership from the Pastor, support the Worship, Music, and the Arts Committee in oversight of the worship life of Fourth Church. Handle the administrative and communication duties that emerge from this committee, including event registration.
- Coordinate with the Associate Pastors for Children & Families and Youth Ministry all aspects of worship that includes children/youth involvement.
- Oversee weekly Morning Prayer and coordinate clergy leadership.
- Coordinate with the Pastor, music department, and communications to create and maintain the yearly worship program calendar. Set deadlines, proof, and approve all worship bulletins before publication.
- Maintain schedule in ACS database for all worship events that use facilities, worship volunteer lists with lay leaders and Database Manager, and records related to worship attendance, weekly hymn list, special services, and weekly preaching/worship leading archive.
- Coordinate guest preachers and all details therein regarding travel, scheduling, liturgy coordination, compensation, and archive. (2 - 3 times per year)
- Supervise the Fine Arts Coordinator, including details and logistics for art installations and liturgical displays in the sanctuary.
- Supervise the Wedding Coordinator, providing support as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (English, Communication, Religious studies, etc) plus relevant work experience, required. Master of Divinity/Theology Studies/Ministry degree, desired.
- Training and/or experience in working with planning of liturgy, preferred.
- An understanding of the basic tenets and practices of the Reformed Christian tradition, especially as it is expressed in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and a commitment to operate within this tradition.
- An appreciation for the diversity and breadth of Christian worship globally and a willingness to work to increase diversity in worship.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, and in a Windows environment, desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with all levels, colleagues and other staff members.
- Exemplary problem solving skills; ability to proactively consider and address needs and respond to requests promptly. Ability to demonstrate organizational savvy, understanding key issues and challenges.
- Strong professionalism in demeanor, communication style, and appearance.
- Ability to handle high-stress situations with calm competence.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work outside of normal business hours, as needed.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail. Ability to prioritize changing priorities.
- Desire and aptitude for working within a faith-based and multi-cultural environment.
This position requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.