Grace First Presbyterian Church
Position Description (2019)
Position Title: Director of Youth & Young Adults
Purpose: In collaboration with the Youth Ministry Team, the Youth Director will provide leadership and activities for youth, their families, and their advisors to facilitate spiritual growth and also provide leadership and ministries for young adults to nurture their spiritual growth and involvement in the life of the church.
Hours: 25 hours per week.
Accountability: Will be supervised by the Associate Pastor on a daily basis and ultimately be accountable to the Personnel Team.
- Shepherd and lead our ministry of middle and high school-aged youth and their families;
- Provide guidance for youth advisors and the Youth Ministry Team within a Reformed tradition;
- Provide worship leadership for youth at Sunday evening youth programs, during service projects (e.g. COA), and mission trips;
- Help design and carry out innovative and responsible ways to reach youth in our community;
- Develop youth leadership in worship and service activities at church and in the community;
- Participate and lead in worship on a regular basis;
- Provide support and nurturing for youth, as well as individual care and counsel, making referrals to professional help when applicable;
- Plan and lead summer and seasonal programs;
- Recruit and support adult volunteers for activities as needed;
- Serve as advisor to college and young adult leaders working with the youth;
- Develop and implement programs for young adults to grow their faith and their involvement in the church’s life;
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Traits: A stable, mature, creative, and resourceful person of Christian faith whose own life is a healthy example for our youth;
- An understanding of, and willingness to work within, the Presbyterian Church traditions;
- Experience in working with youth and demonstrated experience in effective, collaborative ministry work;
- Ability to lead contemplative prayer and reflection activities in our faith traditions;
- Willingness to work closely with pastors and develop a balanced, spiritually grounded ministry with youth and their families;
- Possess the ability to challenge our youth, help them explore their faith, and provide them with skills to use beyond and outside of church;
- Available and willing to spend time with youth outside of the regularly scheduled youth activities.
Relationships: Meet regularly with staff to coordinate ministry and worship. Attend ministry meetings and all youth events.
Evaluation: Ongoing with Associate Pastor and annually, as directed, by the Personnel Team.