ABOUT THE EDGEWATER CONGREGATIONS TOGETHER YOUTH GROUP:
The Edgewater Congregations Together (E.C.T.) Youth Group is a multicultural, LGBTQIA+ affirming, collaborative youth ministry that consists of 6th-12th graders from Unity, Ebenezer, and Immanuel Lutheran (ELCA) congregations, as well as youth from the community in the neighborhood of Edgewater in Chicago. Youth gather two Wednesdays a month (usually the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month) for worship, faith and life discussions, and group-building activities. They also participate in special events, retreats, justice actions and/or service-learning projects, and trips throughout the year. The youth group’s mission is to develop disciples of Jesus who live out their faith in their daily lives by proclaiming the good news of God’s love for all.
- Gain valuable experience serving in a multicultural, collaborative, urban youth ministry setting.
- Learn how smaller congregations can use creative models of collaborative partnerships and shared ministry staff.
- Be mentored by the E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households.
- Strengthen and learn new youth ministry skills.
DURATION AND TIME COMMITMENT:
- Approximately 1214 hours per month (some months will require more hours due to special events)
- Must be able to participate in midweek youth group gatherings, which take place two Wednesdays a month from 5:15-9:15pm; attend weekend youth retreat, all-night lock-in, and at least two other special events or fundraisers. Other work hours are flexible.
- MidSeptember through late-May
- Potential to extend into the summer
- $175 per month for the duration of nine months
- Have a Christian sense of call to compassion and service.
- Have a passion for working with youth.
- Be able to serve in a multicultural, ecumenical, LGBTQIA+ affirming setting.
- Pass a Background Check (provided by E.C.T. Youth Ministry).
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ideal but not limited to a first year seminary student.
- Fully participate in and help with Wednesday night youth group gatherings in the following ways: connect with youth during meals, games, activities, and hang out times; help set up before and clean up after program; participate in and help with worship and large group discussions; lead a small group of youth in reflections and discussions; plan and lead at least three large group discussions, activities and games throughout the year.
- Attend and connect with youth during the allnight lock-in (1/17-1/18), and at least three other special events during the year.
- Assist with the youthled Ascension Day service (evening of 5/21) and full run-through rehearsal (evening of 5/14). (There will not be Wednesday youth group gatherings during the month of May.)
- Mentor some of the youth by attending their events and/or meeting with them outside of regular programming.
- Sign up, oversee, and train youth group volunteers.
- Communicate with youth about upcoming events.
- Attend at least one Sunday morning service at Unity, Ebenezer, and Immanuel Lutheran churches.
- Meet with E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households regularly for mentoring and supervision.
Send the following to E.C.T. Pastor with Youth and Households, Emily Heitzman at firstname.lastname@example.org: (Don’t forget the “h” in the email.)
- Three references (at least one should be church or religious affiliated)
Short essay describing a little about your faith journey and why you would benefit from this internship and mentoring program.